Government open data is data that can be shared and used freely and reused by citizens, government agencies and private sector for various purposes. It serves as a driving force in the government’s citizen-centric initiatives. The implementation of government open data can enhance the integrity and transparency of government service delivery through accurate, fast, relevant and legitimate sources of data sharing. Open data sharing is able to drive the nation’s digital economy by catalyzing the growth of new industries and innovations through the involvement of the people and the business community. It also puts Malaysia on par with other countries in Digital Government initiatives.
To realize this initiative, MAMPU has developed a Government Open Data Portal that serves as a data sharing platform and catalyst for the Government Open Data ecosystem. On 7 September 2020 MAMPU launched the Government Open Data Platform 2.0 which can be accessed via http://www.data.gov.my.
Objectives of government open data implementation are as follows:
- Promote data sharing between public, private and public sector agencies.
- Improving the quality and transparency of public service delivery through people-centric online open data sharing.
- Promote the productivity of the digital economy through the creation of new industries or innovations with the involvement of the people and the business community.
- Increase the creation and innovations of quality data products based on Open Data.
- Increase the government transparency and integrity.
- Generate national data-driven economy and improve government services delivery.
Open Data Team
Malaysian Administrative Modernisation and Management Planning Unit,
Prime Minister Department,
Digital Government Division,
4th Floor, MKN-Embassy Techzone Building, Block B,
No 3200, Jalan Teknokrat 2,
63000 Cyberjaya, Selangor.
Tel: +603 8000 8000